FREE Touch screen Chromebooks with embedded internet at library

Greetings. I am a library patron. I wanted to share that at my library (Prince George’s County, MD, USA) there are FREE Touch screen Chromebooks (with embedded internet) available for check out (and just like a book, are renewal). I encourage all library systems to have this offering to increase accessibility to tech for patrons. Please let me know how I may assist to further the implementation of having this offering at all libraries. Thank you. (Debbie Berlin www.gamedevdebbie.com )

1 Like

@GameDevDebbie that is such a great service that is offered by your library! What makes it even better is the fact that internet is included. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Hello,

Below please find the information from my library system regarding funding for the Chromebooks, etc.

Hope this helps other library systems, educators, etc. to have similar digital access.

“Our digital equity programs have been funded through multiple sources. Some are government funding that other libraries can apply to and others are private philanthropic support. Below is an overview. Let me know if you need additional details.

Funding Secured

Public Funding:

IMLS ARPA competitive grant - supporting 50% salary for a digital program coordinator (fixed-term)

Maryland State Library Agency ARPA competitive grant - supporting 100% salary for a digital program coordinator (fixed-term)

FCC Emergency Connectivity Fund - public competitive grant opportunity - supporting 2,000 Chromebooks & data plan

FCC e-rate funding - public competitive grant opportunity - wifi expansion project

City of Laurel ARPA funding - invitation to submit application - supporting 20 hour staff member through June 2024 and up to 400 Chromebooks with data plan at Laurel Branch Library

Private/Corporate Funding:

Pull Up Fund (private founder) - invitation to submit proposal — supporting up to 900 Chromebooks, data plan, mobile device management, and accessories

Capital One - invitation to submit grant application - supporting programming/language access to digital equity services/tech for immigrants and refugees”

3 Likes