Data Play + Explorations

It can be hard to share how you’ve laid out your materials so here’s a place to share your photos and other explorations!

3 Likes

I organized my materials:
Things that cut
Wire
Coloring - ink pad and crayons
Sticky - glue, washi tape and foam stickers
Markers
Rubbery things - Balloon and rubber band
Eyes
Jingly things - Bells
Soft and Squishy - pom poms
Die Cuts/ Ephemera
Notebooks
Cards

3 Likes

I don’t have much space and organized by shape. The bear is of course overseeing the organization :smile:

3 Likes

3 Likes

I brought my extras in too!

3 Likes

3 Likes

during today’s meeting – was thinking about how as the value increases (more data/information gathered//), the more chaos / higher levels of thinking / entropy arise? like the idea of quantum data collection building thinking systems / conscious AI / etc. (the more precise the measuring the tool, the longer the measurement [[[or more data collected]]]) – you can dive endlessly into data so at what point does it create great systems vs too much data that overwhelms?

how might data reflection push community work? how to encourage a check in and visualization of the self for community members that often do not have time or space for this? what tools for data sorting are viable to community members? (and how might sorting the data help us with the increasing entropy of our systems at the library/in our lives?)

3 Likes

3 Likes

I originally sorted by function

Edibles - things that cut - things that mark - things that attach - (random no-sew fabric flowers that were on my table) - paper things

Then I decided to rearrange everything by shape(ish)

square-ish rectangles - skinny rectangles - scissors - sticks - round things - odd shapes

3 Likes

I am limited on space so I just tried to get it all on my desk area. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I had just done left side carpal/cubital tunnel surgery so I put anything with utility to my right, with things I expected to use (like markers and scissors) closer to me. My tea is to the left in rainbow order because that’s pleasing!

3 Likes

Mostly by color :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Here is @azratahirovic Azra’s arrangement!