[Workshop Share-Out] Animated Cards with Paper Circuits!

as per @binka, here is a more complete recount of my reflections from the workshop:

What elements of online workshops that you have attended have you particularly enjoyed?
I enjoy when the group is able to connect organically, conversation flows smoothly, ideas start bouncing and the energy almost feels like we are in person.

What resonated most strongly?
When we came back as a large group, I heard about other people experiencing the same snafus I had. This would have been a great time to do some troubleshooting as a group, not just to help us gain a greater understanding of how circuits work but also a great example of shared facilitation skills. Itā€™s easy to forget when Iā€™m in a large group of strangers that I am there for the process, not to achieve perfection.

What did you see/experience in the workshop?
I experienced connection and group brainstorming.

What could have been improved?
Sometimes I think we should focus our cameras on our projects instead of our faces so we can watch ideas develop and troubleshooting happen.

What do you need to run a workshop like that?
Lots of prep. Testing all technology ahead of time (I had to leave the workshop 3 times (!!!) due to problems with my laptop and internet connection, it was frustrating). Confidence in the process.

3 Likes

@LissaMonster Your snow card is beautiful! (and yes, your mp4 works!) I am especially excited about your May 4th card as my library still has a pause on programming (both virtual and in-person) but hopefully by spring weā€™ll be able to resume programming. Iā€™m a HUGE fan of paper circuit creationsā€¦and Star Wars, of course! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

@mgazdik

Also, it depends on what kind of copper tape you have. Most times, the issue is that the adhesive is not conductive, so the connection isnā€™t very good if you use the copper tape to tape down the LEDs. There does exist a version of copper tape where the adhesive is conductive and it doesnā€™t matter if the LED legs are under or over it.
And if youā€™re doing a parallel circuit like this - where the LEDs are being lit at the same time - you may need to use more than one battery to get them to light up.

Your snowflake card is amazing and so successful!

1 Like

@Francesca I totally agree about the camera. I started showing my work area as we got into the work. I am not sure if it was helpful. But yes I would like to see what you are working on instead of quiet faces as we work. I asked everyone to show what they worked on and it would be cool to see it as we go along.

1 Like

@Francesca @JacquiV
I quite agree that is a wonderful goal. Having a set up that allows for a view of workspace and face would be ideal.
Unfortunately, that requires something other than a laptop/computer webcam, I think: an outlay of money that many do not have. Unless someone knows if thereā€™s a way to use Zoom on two devices at the same time and be able to switch between phone camera and computer camera.

@LissaMonster I just turned my laptop towards my workspace. It is not optimal, but it is doable.

Hello all! Was so great to see and work with you, this is a familiar project to me but I always discover something new every time I work with a new PLIX group.

This time around I particularly enjoyed the conversation we had in our group about how we source our materials, and work-arounds to ordering from amazon (which many of us arenā€™t allowed to do). Some creative solutions included using found materials or materials sourced from more available ā€˜kitsā€™ and working with local businesses so they can order on your behalf and you can support them!

As always, with paper circuits there are often little hiccups to getting the light to work, whether itā€™s copper tape being finicky, LEDā€™s placed in backwards etc. It was a helpful challenge for me to try and help out folks who were doing the project for the first time without ā€˜touching the toolsā€™ verbally haha.

Next time Iā€™d love just a bit more time in large group, or maybe another mash up where we meet with another breakout room. Additionally, Iā€™d love to brainstorm more paper circuit prompt ideas!

2 Likes

I had so much fun with this! This was actually my first paper circuit, so I was a bit unprepared and wasnā€™t quite sure what I was doing. Thankfully, I was in a group with more experienced people, so I was able to ask questions and learn from them.

Iā€™ve absolutely loved seeing everyoneā€™s ideas! For me, paper circuits are kind of a simple idea until you see all the different ways people apply them, and I love that. I feel like Iā€™m not a very creative person, until I see whatā€™s actually possible.

I did a simple circuit for my card with what I had handy. I would love to be able to use cardstock for the card and tracing paper for the window, with some black paper behind the tracing paper for the silhouette of the cat and the tree. For me, this was just about tackling the paper circuit.

I love the idea that was mentioned about pointing the camera at the paper, but I wouldnā€™t be able to do that with my setup.

I also liked the sense of accomplishment that you get the moment the circuit actually lights up! Thatā€™s definitely a good feeling, even if itā€™s just a simple circuit. Iā€™m definitely inspired to try parallel circuits now, though!

3 Likes

Coming back to this with my reflections from the workshop.

What elements of online workshops that you have attended have you particularly enjoyed?
I enjoy connecting with other people across the country and sometimes the world. Itā€™s great to hear what other libraries are doing and get ideas on things I can take back to my space. Because weā€™re all there for the same thing the conversations tend to flow smoothly and people talk while working.

What resonated most strongly? It was fun coming back to the larger group and seeing what everyone created. Hearing about some of the problems encountered and how they were solved or approached is always helpful.

What did you see/experience in the workshop? I saw people trying out different things to get their projects to work. Brainstorming and sharing of tips and tricks weā€™ve run into when running paper circuit workshops in our spaces.

What could have been improved? I know other mentioned the cameras focused on the projects rather than faces and I think this would be helpful. Finding a way to maybe have both or easily switch between showing what youā€™re doing and your face because itā€™s also nice to see the people youā€™re working with as well as their project.

What do you need to run a workshop like that? More practice facilitating a virtual workshop. I have been a participant more than a facilitator so itā€™s definitely different than in-person. Finding techniques to work with people in that environment would be helpful.

3 Likes