Did you attend the PLIX Paper Circuits online workshop on November 18th? Show off your creations here!
I had big plans for this, however, when the circuit didn’t work I needed to rethink and concentrate on problem-solving. I enjoyed cutting out the tree and planning all the lights I was going to use. When I facilitate this program at my library I will remind people to enjoy the process of planning/making/testing/redesigning/remaking and model making mistakes and rethinking my design.
Our group was so super successful and had great ideas for projects! I was truly impressed that everyone got something finished and all so different.
And you did a fabulous job facilitating, Jacqui! Thank you!
Thank you @LissaMonster that truly means a lot to me.
I was feeling a little rusty on the topic of paper circuits but working with my group online gave me the confidence to trouble shoot and remember how these operate. Plus it was inspiring to hear how other librarians are bringing maker programs to their patrons. Thank you PLIX for a fun program!
Not quite finished, but I really like the idea of a rough and tumble sample for one of my demo pieces. Right now, I’m mirroring what the front would look like on the back side. We shall see what happens with my next one.
Google eyes?! Brilliant!
Hi! I decided to play with parallel circuits and make a falling snow card - because I like snow and we don’t get to see it in South Carolina very often.
The front of the card:
The interior guts of the card:
Closeup of the battery area - I did tape it down, but I was careful not to cover the part of the battery where the copper tape would touch it:
Closeup of the parallel part of the circuit. Each + (longer) leg of the LED is connected to the vertical piece of copper tape on the left. The - (short) legs of the LEDs are extended with pieces of copper tape, to the point where the vertical piece of copper tape on the right will touch them once it’s folded over:
You can see my PLIX Snow Card in action by clicking that link. (I hope it works - let me know!)
And because I needed the reinforcement and my coworkers graciously gave me the off-desk time, I made this one before class just to remind myself how everything works. Those are drinking straws taped over the LEDs with a metal piece of hardware taped on for the grip of the light-up sword. I really wanted to use hot glue to adhere the straws and things to the card, but I have misplaced my hot glue guns! All of the copper tape is hidden under the black masking tape, in order to make things prettier:
So awesome to see everyone’s creations! Very inspiring
Here’s my group photo! Shoutout to @MJP who asked lots of great questions and kept our group thinking about how to troubleshoot.
THIS IS AMAZING, @jmcculley!
For the pagans out there, a Yule pun with a goofy tree spirit who hopes for snowy landscape if you want it for winter solstice.
It’s a simple circuit with a see-saw switch resting on top of the battery:
I should use your falling snow as an inspiration, @LissaMonster
I was trying to keep things simple but love that !
Also super appreciate that you have a May 4th holiday card!
I appreciate the snow wishes! Yours feels like a game - love it!
Thank you for the detailed guts photos. And the drinking straw lightsabers are amazing!
You are very welcome! And, alas, I cannot claim credit for the plastic-straw lightsabers!
Several years ago, I came across this: Left Brain Craft Brain
We have successfully run passive programs using this as a template/inspiration. The instructions and materials are simple. All you need are: coin batteries, LEDs, cardstock, tape, straws (or other thing to put over the LED - tissue paper, fake flowers, etc). We have a handout with instructions, make some examples, and train some staff on how to make them so they can answer questions. Then we just set out the materials on a table near our circ desk and invite people to play with them in the library or take home the materials to play.
I was having a hard time making all the lights stay lit when the legs were under the copper tape. I’ve found that sometimes you get a better connection taping the legs to the topside of the tape instead.
This one worked great under the tape so sometimes you have to experiment.
That’s revolutionary! I will remember this next time I’m troubleshooting (aka getting frustrated that led’s aren’t lighting up).