Sonic Seasoning Make'n'Meet Reflections

What are the sounds of your favorite foods? Least favorite?

Design a personal rating system for food based on sounds and other senses.

• Can you make foods more likable for you? Or make them more dislikable?

Share your explorations and reflections from the make’n’meet here!

After doing this activity, it helped to reflect on how to implement it with learners of different ages. It helped to open up some dialogue on mindfulness eating habits, from likes to dislikes, textures, sounds, smells, etc.

3 Likes

Sonic Seasoning would be a great program to implement during the holidays, especially for ESOL learners. Talking about favorite foods could lead to a broader conversation about cultural traditions.

After the session, I thought about how a program like this might be challenging for library customers who are food insecure.

2 Likes

Tienya,

Sonic Seasoning would be a good program around the holidays! I like your perspective on how it can open up the conversations to other cultures - it’s another form of encouraging peer learning! It could be a challenge to those that are food insecure but hopefully by building a bond with patrons, we might be able to model curiosity and confidence - helping alleviate some fear.

From today’s Seasoning Sonic Seasoning workshop, we tried different ways to explore and express the sound of foods! Here are some ideas to try Sonic Seasoning in your library!

Explore

**Boxhead diner—**with a box that can fit your head, decorate the inside / outside of a box to isolate the sound of eating! You can add lights, colors, and other things to the inside for a unique dining experience. Making holes for eyes is optional. Explore how this influences the frequency of sound. Do crunchy snacks sound sharper or duller inside?

**Hear me crunch—**Using paper cups (or regular paper rolled up into a tube), explore how covering your ears while eating can influence the sound of food (and crunching!). Try putting different materials in the cups to see whether / how they affect the sound. What are other wearable ways to change the sound experience of food?

Express
**Sensory enjoy-o-meter—**What are the different categories or scales of your sensory experiences of food? Add your own ideas for your favorite and least favorite foods. Bonus: Have a friend guess what the food could be!

**Mix and Match cards—**Create your own cards for foods and sensory experiences. What senses will you use? What foods will you include? Mix and match sensory experiences of your favorite and least favorite foods. What do not go together? How might you change your favorite foods to be something you don’t like? Or change your least favorite foods to be something you do like? Bonus: add doodles to your cards!

1 Like

Threads like this are so helpful to me when I’m trying to figure out how to run one of these programs. Thanks for the great ideas, everyone!

1 Like