Session 7: Leading reflection conversations

How will you lead reflection conversations? :thinking:

Share your list of 5–15 questions to ask learners during the workshop or during wrap up. Check out other responses below for inspiration. :bulb:

My questions for during the workshop:

1. What are you making?
  2. What have you tried so far?
  3. (If they’re having trouble) Have you tried…?
  4. How did you come up with that? or How did you get to that result/conclusion?
  5. Can you walk me through your thought process?

Questions for after the workshop/wrap-up:

1. What did you learn today?
  2. Where did you have trouble? What did you do to solve it?
  3. If you could do this over, what would you do differently?
  4. How would you explain this project to a friend?
  5. What is your advice for future participants doing this project?

In my job I’m always asking people what they’ve tried so far and suggest some solutions. Usually that’s enough to get them out of whatever wall they’ve found themselves in front of, and they say how “stupid” they were for not realizing that sooner. I always remind them that no one is born knowing this (including me!), that they’ve done a lot of things right (or that I would’ve done), and so long as they keep trying, they’re doing amazingly.

As for answering like a participant… The one thing I would suggest to others in this is to do two Paper Circuits: one to get the idea behind it, and the other to perfect it. At my program this past Saturday, I had one person make one that worked okay, but the second one she made worked flawlessly. This was actually my coworker’s suggestion and I’m pleased to say he was right! :slight_smile: The more often you do something, the better at it you become.

1 Like

I love your suggestion! The best part of working with inexpensive materials is that I don’t feel like I’m using up future opportunities to do other cooler projects. Creating a first version to make sure everything works is a learning experience.

In engineering, business, software, and even film-making, it’s called proof of concept, or proof of principle. So what you’ve facilitated is also a design and engineering practice! :partying_face:

1 Like

I too like the suggestion! Sometimes it isn’t about creating the best version of your product first, rather learning the fundamental skills and common areas where things might need improvement. That way you have a better idea at what needs to be done for the next time.:bulb:

2 Likes

@adodd I agree completely!

@ada I love “proof of concept”! That’s so true, I completely forgot. Though I did refer to my testing with my teams as “alpha” (my team members who will lead this at their branches) and “beta” (my two branches where I lead). The alpha phase showed me a lot of the bugs that needed to be worked out - both on the project’s end and on mine - while the beta allowed me to refine things even further and see how well a non-tech group could handle it.

1 Like