PLIX Outreach at Professional Conferences

Would be very interested in sharing PLIX at conferences! I have attended ARSL in the past but am now in a larger system. I hope to have an opportunity for PLA… in 2023.
In my state of Michigan, I am planning to reach out to our library cooperatives for smaller group presentations. MLA hosts an annual conference in October.

2 Likes

Looks like NELA proposals are open Program Proposals @Carine @Francesca @Chris_Dorman @aaffinito

1 Like

Amazing, I’ve never heard of this conference, has anyone been? @sslucius08

I’ve heard of NELA, but have never attended either.

Hello fabulous PLIX’ers!

So, I did a panel for NYCC back in 2019 about incorporating Graphic Novels into STEAM education, and submitted it for a Graphic Novel Round Table Webinar Proposal not long ago. Not strictly PLIX related, but I’m sure there’s some overlap.

Anyway, it was accepted, yay! But a lot of the presenters from back in 2019 have relocated or swapped jobs, so I’m putting out a call here to see if anyone else would like to re-vamp this presentation and record with me for ALA’s GNRT.

Attached is the presentation from 2019 and the proposal text:

‘This group will discuss the ever-growing popularity of STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics) programming, and how educators can weave popular Graphic Novel/ Comic titles into their curriculums to increase interest and develop unique projects. We will have a panel of librarians and educators speaking about their experience in this area, as well as a short presentation explaining our framework with sample projects that give attendees ideas on how to get started. We will end with an audience Q & A and have additional information to send to attendees for further research.’

2 Likes

Could be interesting to talk about PLIX zines in this too!

1 Like

Congratulations on getting accepted! I don’t have much knowledge of graphic novels but it sounds like a terrific topic. Even with my limited knowledge, I know there is a lot of crossover between science and graphic novels, and they have become extremely popular with both elementary school and high school ages. For me, I see a huge benefit for students to engage with subjects in graphic novels as they tend to present information in bite-sized, illustrated chunks. This makes it more digestible for teens, or anyone. There is also the benefit of context whenever knowledge is presented in a narrative form. Traditional textbooks can take information out of context and make it harder to apply. The slides look awesome. I will look forward to your presentation!

1 Like

Sorry for my late reply. I’ve had some health issues and have been out of the loop. However, I’ve been to NELA conferences in the past and really enjoyed them. I would absolutely love to work on putting together a presentation with any New England (and states nearby) Ambassadors.
Is it worth starting a new thread just for this? You’re also welcome to email me at francesca.passiglia@greenfield-ma.gov

@aaffinito this is really exciting! I’d be happy to give you a hand if you like. I’m not a super expert on STEAM or graphic novels but they both seem to be playing more and more of a major role in my job and I find both topics fascinating.

1 Like

@Francesca Thanks for chiming in! I’d love to do a NELA conference proposal, feel free to use the resources we developed in the Google Doc. And awesome I’ll let you know if we need a hand with the STEAM proposal! I’ve got some folks interested in presenting but I’ll definitely share the recording link :slight_smile:

I’m still up for working on a NELA proposal. The deadline is May 6th, maybe you me, @aaffinito, and whoever else is interest can setup a time to meet in April?

1 Like

Sounds great to me!

2 Likes

@Carine @Chris_Dorman @aaffinito @sslucius08 YES! Let’s set up an April meeting date to discuss the NELA Proposal. For those of you who are interested, you can contact me directly at francesca.passiglia@greenfield-ma.gov and I can work on finding a time that’s good for all of us.