PLIX Inflatables: Reflections from the Co-Design Process

Hello, all! Adding a quick reflection about how collaboration online has worked for us thus far!

Prior to starting the co-design, I was a bit nervous as to how effectively we could collaborate together remotely, in particular for an activity that is so hands-on and making-focused. Because the co-design team is distributed across the US (Massachusetts; New York; California; Indiana), we sent out core play-testing materials so that we could begin tinkering with a similar set of tools! Every week, we have an โ€˜open playtestโ€™ time, where we all join a Zoom call and make together in a looser and less-formal environment than our weekly โ€˜businessโ€™ meeting ; ) This format has worked excellently, as it serves as a time to not only explore prompts, but also get to know everyone better in the process of creation : ) We also always play music! (Shout out to the PLIX Inflatables playlist, by the way.) During these sessions, we experiment with creating new types of folds and designs, explore use of different tools or materials, and brainstorm workshop prompts. Having everyone on the same call is extremely useful for troubleshooting and co-creating solutions as we iron out the activity design.

Weโ€™ve also started working on the Inflatables zine! @caratarmey created a template, and our amazing librarian collaborators used the annotate teacher to draw in new ideas and comments. This is probably one of my favorite modes of remote collaborative collaboration!

If anyone else is exploring virtual platforms for remote collaboration (and especially creation), I would love to learn more about your experiences!

1 Like