Inflatables Explorations: Rural & Tribal Library Toolkit Project Phase 2

Hi, all!

Did some tinkering inspired by last weekā€™s conversation with @mmwyoung, @roxanner, and @april.g. I wanted to try to create an inflatable using materials I already had on-hand at home, and ended up using a brown paper bag after looking through my recycling bin to see what could work. (Directly influenced by @mmwyoung who had given me ideas about transforming waste into a project!) I ended up creating a pop-up bunch of flowers (unoffically titled a ā€œraised garden bedā€) thinking about how @april.g might explore local flora in her Inflatables remix. Here are the results!

To create the inflatable, I used:

• Recycled brown paper bag from Target
  • Clear packing tape (I tried to use Washi tape, but it wanā€™t strong enough for the paper bag!)
  • Construction paper
  • Glue stick
  • Scissors and an Xacto knife

I tried out one of the most simple forms, cutting a diamond shape which results in a bending motion. I started with a smaller diamond, but ended up making it significantly larger in order to get a more dramatic bend in the inflatable!

Hereā€™s the raised garden bed in action:

Overall, definitely possible to make a hacked inflatable using house-hold materials! Looking forward to experimenting with different recyclables this week (wonder if Iā€™d have any luck with plastic bags!).

By the way, I know that one of our Creative Learning Ambassadors, @aaffinito, is planning to do a paper-flatables take-and-make soon. Allie, please feel free to share any insights you have for our J-WEL co-designers!

4 Likes

Will do! Still waiting on a few items to come in, but had some success with remote facilitation, so looking forward to incorporating that element into my take and make projects!

This is sooo cool, Avery! I love the little sleepy flower detail too :expressionless:

Hello everyone!
First of all I apologize I havenā€™t posted yet. I was here then for some reason I wasnā€™t and now Iā€™m back. This discussion forum is a little bit out of my comfort zone so figuring things out. I was on vacation last week and missed the discussion which Iā€™m bummed about but Ada sent me the link and I will be watching later. Here are the pictures Iā€™ve taken so far of my unboxing last month and then the building of my first inflatable Iā€™m going to call floating fish. Here are my answers to the discussion questions that you talked about last week.

Whatā€™s most enjoyable/challenging about the activity?
Iā€™ve enjoyed playing around with the activity and thinking outside of the box. I would not have thought to use origami paper to do inflatables so that has been fun. My challenge has been the time crunch as several things have fallen on to my plate lately. Iā€™m committed to doing this so I will make it work but have been finding myself getting pulled away from the project to attend to other demands. My other challenge has just been figuring out how to run the activity that fits into the four that are listed.

Share your ideas for running the activity in your library/community.
What I want to do is take the kit to our large childcare on a day the kids are off of school and do inflatable activities with the school age children. I want to start with an initial show and tell where we build a very basic inflatable like i did in my pictures. Next I want to show them the supplies and do a passive programming where they use their creative minds to build their own. I then want to end with building with them the 2D to 4D that I saw on one of the other threads ( I want to give that creator credit so will find that and credit her in the reply section.) Thatā€™s my plan at this point. I think it would fall into passive programming but unsure.

Next Steps/questions you have:
I need to check the calendar and the final date to do this project so that I get it done in time.
I need to contact the childcare to see if theyā€™d be willing to let me come. I donā€™t see this to be an issue.
I need to collect other materials that they can use such as newspapers, chip bags, maybe a iron or two.
What were the lego pieces for?
I will have kids from K-4th grade. Is this too much of an age range?

IMG_1703

2 Likes

It was bookymargoof who did the 2D to 3D which was I meant to type instead of 2D to 4D. (facepalm moment). I lost track which thread that was but it looked really neat.

1 Like

I was super excited to receive my box of PLIX inflatables supplies, but it took awhile to feel comfortable exploring and interacting with kits supplies. Iā€™m burnt out, overly busy, and did not want to ā€œwasteā€ supplies until I fully grasped what I was doing. Copying the prototypes available on the PLIX activity section of the website would have been easy to do, especially since I couldnā€™t seem to move my brain beyond the copycat stage to innovation/remixing. Iā€™ve taken some time to explore other activities and sat with the project goals to mull over what might be possible.

Here are some of my tinkering projects (human lungs/one side glued shut and beating heart) based on my love of anatomy illustrations, but could be paired with a STEM lesson on the human body. Iā€™d be curious to know what else might be created using the ā€œHuman Bodyā€ body as a theme but could also see how that theme could go wildly sideways with youth in the building (so kits might be a better option for that theme). It could also work well as a grab & go activity for health fair related outreach opportunities.

During the course of tinkering, 1) I realized origami paper sure does work better than cardstock or construction paper! 2) Sealing the edges with washi tape is easier when those edges are straight (i.e. basic shapes such as squares, triangles, stars). 3) Iā€™m super impatient but also frustrated by the lack of perfection when it comes to how my washi tape looks on the final project. 4) Folding doesnā€™t seem to impact inflatability. 5) Each small project needs about one roll of washi tape to play it safe.

Other ideas/themes for tinkering: I also LOVE museum insectarium specimens like beetles and butterfliesā€¦I think it would be cool to prototype inflatable butterflies whose wings open similar to the inflatable flower or insects like beetles whose antennae unfurl when inflated.

4 Likes

Here are some fumblings I had yesterday. I was excited to use some metallic tissue paper because it allowed 6yo and I to make a bigger inflatable. But it didnā€™t work to seal with an ironā€“the pretty rainbow color came off and the plain side didnā€™t fuse together either.

So we tried a recycled package of freeze dried strawberries from Trader Joeā€™s. The material was nice and thick but too small to make the diamonds in the cross (for the flower inflatable).

We tried using a roll of mylar paper but the iron got too hot and burned a 1" hole in the center parts where I was trying to make a diamond for the petals to bend. I forgot to use the foil, might try again.

Using the mini iron makes me hesitant to do this with younger kids. I burned my hand! I think Iā€™d make duct tape or clear packing tape available in addition to the washi tape so kids can seal their inflatable safely.

3 Likes

Hi Roxanne, I like the visual of the lungsā€“makes the inflatable more meaningful in the context of the body. I think the remix with the frogā€™s belly could also be used to demonstrate deep breathing for kids.

1 Like

Thanks @mmwyoung. I agree. I think the remix with the frogā€™s belly could definitely be used to demonstrate deep breathing for kids and encourage developing emotional regulation as they focus on being in the moment and controlling their breathing.

1 Like

This is a great idea! I love the teaching opportunity of the lungs

So I had a masterplan to work with our childcare and have an awesome passive programming but illnesses and staffing issues kept that from happening. I was lost at how to do a remix. Then with some sage advice from Ada I realized that I already had a program with my target group (10-14 yrs), Code Club, and could take over their snack to run my remix. I set up a table in our computer area and put the prompt asking if they could blow up their snack. They responded and while it didnā€™t result in them doing more than a basic inflatable their creativity was sparked. Since I took my position three years ago, I have been building up our programming. We tried Code Club this year and some kids have loved it. What I learned from running this remix was how some of my code club kids want more of the STEAM activities. Code club has not been their thing but they come anyway because its something to do. We talked about starting a STEAM club next year and Iā€™m grateful for PLIX and the remix resources to do this. While I wish I could have done more with the inflatables during this time period, I feel like Iā€™ve gained a better understanding of what my late elementary patrons want, valuable rescources to do STEAM, and great tips of how to facilitate programming going forward.

Rural & Tribal Library Toolkit | Remix Share-Out :cyclone:

Remix at a Glance
PLIX activity you are remixing: Inflatables
Give your remix a name (optional): Origami Balloon, or Inflatable Within an Inflatable
What remix strategy did you choose? locally relevant remix
Why did you choose this remix strategy? How does it address a challenge or opportunity in your context? I want to let kids be able to see inside the inflatable by using transparent material.
Brief description of your remix: Have kids make an origami balloon or another origami creation and put it inside their inflatable made out of transparent material so they can see it moving.
Number of patrons this remix is designed for: 8
Number of facilitators needed: 2-3 depending on the ages, especially if kids need help with folding origami

Supply Kit

Share the list of materials that you need for the remix. If your remix takes the form of a take and make kit, note what materials the kit contains. If your remix uses any additional materials / handouts (remixed zines, troubleshooting guides, slide decks, table tents, etc.) please share them here.

You can refer to the original supply kits here: PLIX Activities

Material Quantity (per person)
Clear produce bag (or other transparent material) 1
Clear packing tape (or other tape) 1 roll
Plastic straw 1
Origami paper 1-2 sheets
Instructions for making origami balloons 1
Example(s) of inflatables with origami creations 1-3 for the whole group

Activity Prompts

Complete this section if you changed the activity prompt or added a new prompt.

Remix Activity Prompt
What prompt(s) did you use to frame the activity for your patrons? Snow Globe Balloon (create a toy to play with that has an object inside)
Did you create any example projects for this prompt? Please describe. Also please share photos of your creations in the Example Showcase below! Yes, used a clear produce bag from the grocery store, placed an origami balloon inside, sealed the top with washi tape, and inserted a straw to inflate. Once it was inflated, cut the straw and sealed it with tape to see how long the air would stay.

Reflections on Remix Design and Facilitation

Complete this section after running the activity.

Reflections
What went well? What was challenging? It was nice to make something with recycled materials, but the produce bag was not as transparent as I thought it was. Also the origami balloon didnā€™t do muchā€“it was just there. However, the things that are lightweight enough to be more interesting to observe inside the inflatable may also be choking hazards (if the person blowing through the straw sucks in air) so Iā€™m not sure what else to try (I considered glitter or paper confetti). I still think the idea of using transparent material could be interesting, especially if there are more complex inflatable designs used (like the flower or caterpillar), so that kids can see inside how the air flows through.
What did you celebrate? My 6-year-old child had fun blowing up the bag and checking for air leaks. She also enjoyed playing with the inflatable like a balloon pillow after it was sealed.
Which of the PLIX facilitation techniques did you use or think about while planning this remix activity, if any? Celebrate process and product; Model curiosity and confidence; Give yourself time to grow
Are there any activity-specific facilitation tips that you used with patrons? I suggested trimming the straw before sealing so it would remain available to re-inflate the balloon but not weigh it down too much.
What advice would you give facilitators planning to do this remix at their libraries? Find a more transparent material than the produce bags (Ziploc bags?). Also, donā€™t use too big of a bag because then itā€™s difficult to blow up. Think of appropriate ā€œadd-insā€ participants can use to observe inside the inflatable.
Additional thoughts to share? A possible way to extend this activity is to use mylar and exhibit examples of large inflatable water slides and challenge kids to design their own mini playground!

Example Showcase

Please share photos of example projects and creations that you and your patrons made (drop them in the area below!)

1 Like

Rural & Tribal Library Toolkit | Remix Share-Out :cyclone:

Remix at a Glance
PLIX activity you are remixing: Inflatables!
Give your remix a name (optional): Native-flatables!
What remix strategy did you choose? Locally relevant
Why did you choose this remix strategy? How does it address a challenge or opportunity in your context? Native plants are a topic we like to center programming on as a tenet of sustainability and community resiliency. A fun way to connect younger people to this topic (or at least a nice way to sneak in another fun STEM aspect - a spoonful of hands-on creating helps the hard science go down!) is to highlight the local, beautiful flowers and fauna that are endemic to the area, and try to recreate them. As participants work on their inflatables, there is an opportunity to talk about why native flowers are important in supporting the ecosystem and how insects, birds, small and large mammals all rely, in turn, on these particular flowers having space to grow in our community.
Brief description of your remix: Weā€™re challenging tweens and teens to re-create dogwoods, redbuds, morel mushrooms, etc. (all native to Ozarks) into inflatable blossoming plants using recycled chip bags, paper, tape and other household materials. The creations in turn can be approached as toys, wearables, etc.
Number of patrons this remix is designed for: 6-18
Number of facilitators needed: 1-3

Supply Kit

Material Quantity (per kit or person)
Newspaper, origami paper, paper bags 2-3 sheets per person
Mylar chip bags, plastic shopping bags 2-3 per person
Plastic or paper straws 2-3 per person
Tape (washi or clear) 1 roll for every 3 people
Plastic or paper straws 2-3 per person
Inflatables pattern cards 1 set for every 6 people
PLIX Zine 1 (cut & folded) per person
Mini-craft irons 1 for every 6 people
Tempera or acrylic craft paint (optional) Multiple for group to share
Paintbrushes (optional) Multiple for group to share

Activity Prompts

Remix Activity Prompt
What prompt(s) did you use to frame the activity for your patrons? We ask participants to think of what flowers they are noticing or looking forward to seeing this spring to start the conversation. We show them some of the example flowers we made, and talk about the connection between native plants and upcycling trash for materials as accessible, practical sustainability practices.
Did you create any example projects for this prompt? Please describe. Also please share photos of your creations in the Example Showcase below! Yes! We made a moon and star just to experiment with inflatable shapes to begin with. We also made a blooming flower crown, and several of us tried to make a blooming flower based on the instructions in the PLIX sample cards but we were unable to get our flowers to ā€œbloom.ā€ :frowning:

Reflections on Remix Design and Facilitation

Reflections
What went well? What was challenging? We didnā€™t have many attendees, but those who came were excited and tried several iterations of their creations. Ultimately, no one was able to make a correctly ā€œbloomingā€ flower, but everyone had fun making other inflatables.
What did you celebrate? We loved making the figures (after we gave up one flowers). One of the examples looks kind of like a caterpillar, which was an opportunity to discuss the connection between natve flora and fauna. Even though our flowers didnā€™t bloom, our caterpillars still crawled!
Which of the PLIX facilitation techniques did you use or think about while planning this remix activity, if any? Celebrate process and product, model curiosity and confidence, donā€™t touch the tools! And give yourself time to grow. I had to remind myself not to touch the tools but offer suggestions and let them work through them with the tools. Myself and another librarian as facilitators also created new items next to the participants, and showed them our original creations so they could see how it was definitely a learning process. We encouraged them to use as much of the materials as they wanted because all of it was headed for the trash can anyway, which I think helped them feel a little more open to exploration.
Are there any activity-specific facilitation tips that you used with patrons? We sort of lightly-narrated in a conversational way, what we saw others doing that seemed successful for the benefit of the rest of the group. I pointed out how it looked like someone was having success using just the edge of the iron to seal the edges of the mylar, instead of the tip. Or that someone was folding their material as a way to not have to seal the entire piece, but instead benefit from a starting point based on the symmetry. A very specific tip for this activity: we used glue dots internally for the paper-flatables in place of where we might have made ā€œdiamondsā€ with the iron on the mylar. These worked well as a substitute so that we were still able to get some animation and motion with the paper creations.
What advice would you give facilitators planning to do this remix at their libraries? We were really focused on native flora, but I think it would be helpful to open it up to the native fauna as well. Frogs and butterflies, creeping caterpillars; birds with curling tails, all the way up to mammals (bobcat tails!) are all good ways to open up this activity a bit more, and a fun follow up would be lining these different creations up in a visual food chain/ food web to demonstrate the ecology.

Example Showcase

3 Likes

@april.g Great work April! :star2: You did a fantastic job with framing the prompt, and facilitating for a welcoming space to explore and play. It looks like the kids had a lot of fun with this. :heart_eyes: Loving the headband with inflatable ears!

These examples are fun AND functional. Thanks for sharing. Itā€™s giving me ideasā€¦especially since Iā€™m not great with origami paper, this would be a better use for me :smiley:

Hey thereā€¦ links to docs dont work - jump into xmlā€¦ thanks

Hi @keithbraafladt ! :wave:

Since itā€™s been a problem before, Iā€™ve reuploaded the files. Please refresh (command+R if youā€™re on a mac) the inflatables activity page and try the links again. If that doesnā€™t work, let me know and I can email you the files.

-Ada \(įµ”įµ•įµ”)/