How-to videos for PLIX (or any STEAM) activities

I’m putting together one or two PLIX take and make kits in the upcoming months and would like to supplement them with how-to videos that patrons can reference.
I’d love to hear from people who have experience making this sort of video. What kind of software did you use to edit? How did you prepare your workspace? Did you use a time lapse method and document camera or just film yourself like you would in an in-person meeting space scenario?

1 Like

Hi Francesca,

I’ve done a bunch of STEAM videos. I used an old Kindle, propped up on a windowsill. This was, mostly, successful! I paid to use www.Kapwing.com, which was easy to learn and made editing easier. I uploaded to youtube. I liked doing this rather than Zoom meetings because kids (or adults) could pause the video and catch up.

Good luck!

I’ve used OpenShot and DaVinci Resolve. OpenShot is minimalist. My coworker likes to use Blender, which I haven’t tried using for video editing yet (here’s his Sew a Holiday Stocking). It’s nice to lay things out for people. I believe he may have recorded the audio after.

Kapwing looks cool, I haven’t heard of it. I would bet it has the most useful tools – I did find DaVinci Resolve to be a little overwhelming at times.

1 Like

While this was posted last year so you’re probably already done with it, I’ll share what I did in case anyone else wants another answer to this question. I made a series of take and make kits, with a slip inside each bag (printed from LibraryAware quarter flyers) that contained a QR code to the how to video and a simple rundown of what was in the kit and its theme, along with a photo of the materials being used for the project. I created my how to videos using my cell phone and a simple selfie tripod I bought at Walmart. I used the free video editing software Shotcut. Here’s a link to the videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6l3R7rUpaXsUGW00L5h5qkQICH4iq2E6 My workspace was simply the countertop in my office with my desk in the background. During the worst of the pandemic, I sent out quite a few of the kits. Recently, I discontinued them and put out the remainder for anyone to grab from a box outside the library, because no one had ordered one in months. I think people want face-to-face interactions above all now, even when they’re sick or it’s not in their best interest. But there are always families out there with sick kids or families that are more cautious. Best of luck to anyone reading this!

1 Like

Thank you so much for sharing this, @Valetta_C ! I love that these are more than just how-to videos. They came across as super kind and supportive as well as fostering creativity with the open-endedness.

It’s also wonderful to see that you’re not presenting yourself as an expert at the task. Modeling curiosity and confidence when the creation doesn’t work out is so excellent :100:. I especially loved the pipe cleaner challenge video. Thank you again for sharing these videos and your process!

1 Like

My pleasure, Ada, and thank you for your comments!

1 Like